Who Does Permanent Partners Immigration Act Affect?

PPIA defines permanent partners as:
· two people, both of whom are at least 18 years old
· a couple that cannot get married in such a way that their marriage
will be recognized under U.S. immigration law (i.e. same-sex
· not in a permanent partnership or marriage with anyone else
· “financially interdependent” (not defined by the current bill)
· not first, second, or third degree blood relations
· a couple in a “committed, intimate relationship” and who “intend a
lifelong commitment” (not defined by the current bill)

PPIA applies to same-sex bi-national couples where one person in the couple is a U.S. citizen or
permanent resident. It does not apply to granting visas for partners of international students. In other
words, it would not allow an international student to bring their international partner while studying in
the United States. It would, however, allow an international student who is in a permanent partnership
with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to stay in the United States after their student visa expires.


Organizations that Suppor t
Per manent Par tners Immigration Act:

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
Amnesty International
Amnesty International- OUTfront Program
Clergy United, Inc.
Hawkeye Aerial Photography
Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
The Intel Corporation
LLEGO, the National Latina/o LGBT Organization
Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force (LGIRTF)
Love Sees No Borders
Mexican-American Legal Defense Education Fund (MALDEF)
National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium (NAPALC)
National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR)
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
Pride at Work ? AFL-CIO
United Nations Gay and Lesbian Organization (UN GLOBE)
United States Students Association (USSA)

15 countries already recognize bi-national
same-sex permanent partners in immigration:

Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France,
Germany, Iceland, Israel, the Netherlands, New Zealand,
Norway, South Africa, Sweden, and the United Kingdom

For More Information: Contact the United States Student Association @ 1413 K Street NW, 9th Floor, Washington DC 20005
Phone: 202.347.USSA Fax: 202.393.5886 e-mail: lgbt@usstudents.org web site: http://www.usstudents.org